Tony

Tony

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

To avoid misunderstanding

"At times, adding details, even after the fact, can help reduce misunderstanding."

In my last blog, I mentioned that I had purchased a metal lathe.  For those who know tools, this would usually be a large expenditure. I was very fortunate to find this one, an Asian-made (would have preferred one made here) 9 x 24 inch "benchtop" model.  As I mentioned, it needs quite a bit of TLC to be put back into service.  I frequently need a lathe to make a bushing or bearing or any number of other items for projects I work on.

I truly enjoy bringing new life to tired and broken items, especially tools and equipment.  Saving something from the garbage dump or scrap yard and making it useful again gives me great fulfillment.  At times, parts may be too expensive or just no longer available and there lies the challenge, making the part or modifying something I have salvaged from something else.

I was around 12 when I first saw a lathe in action.  A family friend, Todd Haller, ran a boat yard / machine shop and he would let me hang out and watch him work.  I was so impressed with what he could make on the lathe that, right there and then, I decided that, someday, I would have one.  I have been watching all the lathe videos on You Tube and have read many articles on their use.  I have so much to learn on its operations, but learning and developing new skills in different areas keeps me stimulated and engaged.

I paid less than $200.00 for it with the money coming from the sale of a couple of other tools I had fixed up and sold.  The remainder of the money I received from selling the tools will go to the campaign.

I just wanted you to know that, when I ask for your financial help with the campaign, that I have been paying, so far, from our savings, with the addition of a one contribution and the sale of a few items.

Thanks
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment