Tony

Tony

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

On to November!!

"The count is in, the people have spoken"

Thanks to all of you who voted.  You are the folks that make our democracy work.  I would like to thank each and every one of you in person.  I will be at my booth at the Jefferson County Fair, space #5, Old Commercial Building all weekend, so stop by and let's chat.  I will also be at the All County Picnic on July 17 at the candidates booth, so I will have a lot of opportunity to thank you and discuss the future of our PUD

I was at the courthouse tonight for the release of the first count on the ballots.  It looks like it will be Mr. Collins and me on the November General Election ballot.

The count, as of tonight, with a few ballots still to be counted:

De Leo           787 (29.78%)
Collins        1,181 (44.68%)
McMillen      658 (24.90%)

I knew that someone would not advance tonight.  Ken McMillen has served his country and his community with honor for many years and deserves our respect.  He ran a good, clean campaign, addressing the issues and focusing on the positive.  Ken, thank you for your service!

What really surprised me was the number of "under votes", 439.  I had not previously heard this term, so I looked it up on the Washington State Secretary of  State website and found:
What is an undervote?
An undervote occurs when a voter fails to vote for a particular office or issue. This could be intentional or due to oversight.

I could understand this if a person was running unopposed, but the primary vote decided which two candidates would advance to the General Election.  Why would so many people go to the trouble of casting their ballots but fail to choose a candidate for the PUD race?

Well, now I have to rethink my campaign strategy.  Several of my friends with far more political wisdom are advising me on the path to victory.  I appreciate their council and will consider their advice.  Lots of things to think about.

Thank you for your support, I am still in the race!!!!!!
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment