Tony

Tony

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Let's clear up a few things

"If you want to know the truth about someone, ask them, then, if it doesn't sound right, confirm that what they say is, or is not, in fact, the truth."

First, let me say that Allison Arthur and the Leader staff did a great job with the October 22nd article on the PUD Commission race.

There are a couple of things my opponent was quoted as saying in the article that I would like to address.  First of all, having served for over 40 years as an elected Hospital Commissioner, a position almost exactly like that of PUD Commissioner, would seem to be more relevant experience than my opponent's career as a substance abuse counselor for energy and utility companies.  As I have always said,  a PUD Commissioner's job is governance, not hands-on management of operations or staff.

As to his quote "There's a huge difference between working in a hospital and working in an energy company," I do not work in a hospital, I serve on the governing board.  I think that providing mental health and substance abuse counseling, though honorable and needed services, have little relevance to the technical aspects of managing a utility.

The article also credits my opponent with saying that I lack private-sector experience.  I started my working life at the age of 12, working weekends and summers for our family-owned lumber and building materials store, De Leo Bros. here in Port Townsend  After college, I returned to work there until the business split into 3 separate companies, at which time my father and I started Micky's Cabinet Shop.  Dad ran the millwork and cabinet shop while I build a specialty hardware and paint store from scratch. After becoming a certified master lock and safe technician, I added a locksmith service to Micky's to help build the business.

When I was elected as a Hospital Commissioner in 1973, people told me that it wouldn't last, don't give up your "day job", so I didn't.  Although I worked as a fire chief and 911 dispatcher, my first love has always been in retail building materials.  I continued in that market, working with Henery's Do-it-Best, Hadlock Building Supply and, finally, with Sequim Home Depot.

Most of the rest of my public service, such as with Civil Defense, firefighter/EMT and EMS council membership, was on a volunteer basis, part of giving back to our community.

Thanks and, please, don't forget to V O T E!!

No comments:

Post a Comment