Tony

Tony

Thursday, July 10, 2014

The hardware fix

"Characteristics and talents we have developed, over time, in one field can frequently translate well to a new endeavor, bringing fresh insights and new approaches to resolving issues."

A major part of my working career was spent in the retail building materials and hardware trade.  There are portions of that work that I do miss, though maybe not the stocking heavy boxes or carrying stacks of lumber.

It seemed that every week some new product would appear on the shelf, providing me the opportunity to add it to my "toolbelt" that I would use to help my customers with a project, new fixes for old problems.

Even with my years of experience, someone would occasionally come in with a problem for which I did not have an answer.  If I couldn't get the needed information from someone else in the store, I would tell the customer that I did not have an answer, if they would come back tomorrow,  I figure this out for them.  I would spend that evening doing the research.  There were other times that another customer would hear the discussion and provide a solution that had worked for them.

OK, nice story, but how does this relate to being a PUD Commissioner?  You take what wisdom you have and work to solve the issue.  If that doesn't work, track down someone who has the expertise.  Still not resolved, do the research yourself.  And then, there are the answers that come from an unlikely source.  Just because someone does not have a title, degree, or even a business card doesn't mean that they cannot provide the answer, the one that all the high-paid experts overlooked because it was just too simple to work or that it had never been tried in this context.

But, the most important thing to remember, above all, is that if you do not know the answer, say that you do not know the answer but that you will find it and let them know.  Ego should not have a roll in this, integrity and professionalism does, so, do it right, whatever it takes.

You will still, occasionally, find me wondering the aisles of a hardware store or lumber yard, seeing what's new and remembering how much I enjoyed helping my customers solve issues when I worked at De Leo Bros., Mickey's Cabinet Shop, Henery Hardware, Hadlock Building Supply or Home Depot. 

To my former customers and friends in hardware, thanks for the memories, the challengers and the wisdom gained

Tony.

No comments:

Post a Comment