Tony

Tony

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Proper Planning Pays

"Even the smallest task, done without adequate planning, can become a big issue, requiring additional effort to correct problems resulting from missed steps."

I am sure we all have suffered the effects of diving into a project thinking it is so small or simple that the planning and designing would take more time than the doing.  The larger the project, the greater the loss of efficiency and required number of things that have to be redone.  This applies to managing a business or agency as much as it does to projects out in the shop.

I had been thinking, for days, about a small project out in my shop. Yesterday I had the time and started to work.  A simple project, make a bracket for an air reel.  Just cut 4 pieces of angle iron, drill a few holes, and there, done!!!  Working from the fuzzy plans in my head, off I went.  Cut the metal, measured and drilled the holes and, well, OOPS!!!  The leg of the angle had to go the other way.  Not a problem, cut more iron, same size, holes in different places.  Turned out I needed a wider flange for one side.  Back to the chop saw.

By this time, I was expressing my frustration to the universe in terms probably not appropriate for polite company.   Fortunately, my machines and the steel were my only audience.  Cut again, drill again, persistence pays, right??????  I finally took a deep breath and drew out the plans for this and, hey, look at that, just do this and it will work.

Persistence, under the right conditions, can pay, on occasion, but proper planning with adequate details and research, pays off, big time, every time.  Without a plan, how will you know what you want to accomplish, the details of it and what steps are required to accomplish the task.  Without establishing goals and objectives, how will you know how well you are doing or even when you are finished.

I know better, planning has always been a part of my working career, in the fire service, store layout or the management of a Hospital District.

Tony

 

No comments:

Post a Comment