Tony

Tony

Monday, July 14, 2014

Our legacy?

"Before you take action today, you must consider its long term consequences."

When I decided to file as a candidate for PUD Commissioner, I made two promises regarding campaigning.  One was that I would not disturb your dinner by appearing at your door.  The other was no campaign signs to spoil our roadside views.

In doing a bit of research into the subject of political signs, I find that they are more than just a visual nuisance.  The corrugated plastic signs, used by most candidates, from what I can find, are made of #5 polypropylene, also known as Coroplast.  This material makes these signs nearly indestructible, and, in that, lies the problem, as polypropylene is highly resistant to photo degradation and will not decay for millennia.  #5 plastic (polypropylene) is not accepted  for recycling here, which, apparently is the case with most recycling centers.

So, winner or runner up, what do you do with those costly signs after the election?   I suppose you could store them until your next campaign, but only if you plan to run for the same office.  Not sure about others, but I do not have an excess of storage space here at home.

I always wondered if you could install them, like shingles (printed side in), on framing and make a sort of greenhouse out of them.  After all, they are corrugated, providing some insulation, and translucent to allow filtered sunlight in for your plants.  This has potential!!!!  Reusing resources to grow locally sourced food.

But, I fear, for most of these signs, their fate will be to languish in our landfills.   Forever??   Not quite the legacy I want to leave for our kids and grandkids, and the generations to follow.

Remember:   Reduce, Reuse and Recycle, the new "3 R's.
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment