Tony

Tony

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Blue collar state of mind

"When you earn your wages through manual labor, using your wits, common sense and a strong back, you tend to place a higher value to your dollar and ponder expenditures a bit more than others may do."

I have spent much of my working career in positions requiring physical labor, at times strenuous, ranging from delivering and stocking building materials to fire fighting and rescue operations.  When you are a bit tired and sore from earning your pay, you tend to be a bit more frugal when spending it.

Being the forth generation of a working class Port Townsend /Jefferson County family, my hands, calloused and scarred from years of work, just seem part of our family's tradition, as is service to community.

Part of my cost conscious nature comes from being raised by parents who survived the depression.  I have taken this concern for spending into my public life, in the 40+ years as an elected Hospital Commissioner and as Fire Chief for the Port Ludlow Fire Department.

When considering how the public funds of the Hospital District are committed, I always try to view the issue through the eyes of those I represent and treat the funds as if they were coming out of my own pocket.  I have never felt that it is easier to spend other people's money.

I bring a common sense approach to government, always looking for an easier, more efficient and less costly solution.  I keep in mind that the needs of the customer must come first.  A commitment to serve to our community should be a major portion of the mission of any governmental agency.

This appears to be a low output day for solar energy, let's hope for sunshine tomorrow!
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment