Tony

Tony

Monday, June 16, 2014

An apology

"Just because you cannot remember someone's name, that does not mean that you don't value them.  If your attempt to get someone's attention is not acknowledged, it just may be because they are focused on other matters."

If I seem to not be able to remember your name, please accept my apology.  Through my working career, I have helped and worked with literally thousands of people and I just can't remember them all, sometimes, unfortunately, even ones that are special to me.  Some people can hear a person's name once and remember it forever.  I envy them.  I can quote technical specifications, RCW numbers, human anatomy, so many other things, just not names and, as I get older, a couple of other things slip my mind, but I cannot remember what they are. (humor!!).

When I run into someone I have known for many years or have just recently met and their name escapes me, it distresses me as I feel that each of us deserves respect and being able to recall their name is part of that respect.  Again, I apologize for this.  I realize some people believe that an apology  is a sign of weakness.  I, however, feel that to apologize takes great strength and courage.

Most people say that if I am to be a politician, that I need to be able to remember everyone's name from the first introduction.  Well, since I do not consider myself a politician, that is not an issue.

If we cross paths at the store or a garage sale, where ever that may occur and I do not acknowledge you, please call me on it.  Sometimes I have a multitude of things on my mind and, at times I tend to be quite focused.  My mind may be working on an issue with the Hospital District, a thought on the campaign, a project in my shop,  which cantaloupe is ripest, but usually the answer is  "D", all of the above.   I truly enjoy people and would enjoy chatting with you.

I wanted you to know, just in case.
Thanks
Tony



No comments:

Post a Comment