Tony

Tony

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Turn you back, count to ten...

"What works well in some situations doesn't, necessarily, work as well in others"

Tonight was the League of Women Voters / AAUW / Leader candidate forum in Port Townsend.  There was a large turnout and lots of great questions.  I, unfortunately, was still feeling the effects of a rather nasty tummy bug I awoke with yesterday morning.  Of all nights to be off my game.

While serving as Fire Chief for Port Ludlow, many years ago, I attended Command School, presented by Washington State Fire Service Training section of the State Fire Marshall's Office.  During one session, a rather crusty old chief, with many years experience, told us that, at least once in your career, you will arrive upon the scene of a  large working fire or mass casualty incident and you will find yourself totally overwhelmed.  His suggestion, turn your back to the scene, count slowly to ten, then turn and take command of the situation.  This will give you the opportunity to refocus your thoughts.

That suggestion flashed through my mind this evening as the mild illness-induced fog took hold.  I quickly decided that the audience would probably not understand if I turned my back to them and started counting.  Fortunately, about half way through the question and answer section, the fog cleared or, at least, I was able to refocus and push onward.

To those attending tonight's forum, I apologize for being, at least to me, a bit disorganized in my answers.  I hope you will be able to attend another forum when I am more my focused, quick witted, self.

Thanks for your support
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment