Tony

Tony

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The cost of the campaign

"When you are fully committed to a quest, no sacrifice , other than your ethics and honor, is to high a price to pay."

As the days since I filed for PUD Commissioner pass, I feel the changes in me that this pursuit has caused.  Before the campaign, I would drive down the road, enjoying the roadside scenery.  Now, instead of seeking nature's beauty, I find my self searching for good places for yard signs.

As the date for a candidate's forum approaches, I run my mental tapes of past debates, wondering why I said this or didn't say that.  My mind toggles between what I have said in the past and what I will say during the next opportunity to speak to a gathering of voters.

I balance the perceived need to spend more on such as newspaper ads, better handouts, all the other expenses of a campaign, against how much of our savings I am willing to invest (or risk) to win the opportunity to serve you, my neighbors, family and friends, as their new PUD Commissioner.

What has not changed in me is my commitment to retaining my honor and ethical standards, regardless of how this may affect my chances for election.  I will not make promises I cannot keep nor will I attack my opponent.  After all, he may have his faults and weaknesses, but so do I!

At times, during the night, instead of sleep, I find myself working on how to better provide for the needs of our neighbors in financial crisis.

In addition to the campaign, I attend all meetings related to the PUD operations to assure that I will be able to be effective on my first day in my new position with the PUD.  I continue to do research on issues related to power and water utilities, climate change and its potential impacts, as well as related state and federal laws.

I still continue of perform my duties as a Hospital Commissioner, as committed to Jefferson Healthcare's success as ever.  I continue to work toward making sure that all of our county's residents receive the highest quality, safest medical service possible, while assuring that our less fortunate neighbors can still receive needed medical care.  In these efforts, I find fulfillment.

Regardless of the choice the voters make in November, I will continue to serve as your Hospital Commissioner, which if find to be as challenging and, at the same time, rewarding, even after 40 years.   Should you choose me to represent you on the PUD Board, I will commit to this position as I have to my current hospital position.  Being retired, I have the time and energy to do both successfully. 

I must admit, I will be glad when the votes have been counted and I can, hopefully, get to the work   with the other commissioners and PUD staff, to build on what has been accomplished, and make our PUD the best in the state.
Thanks
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment