Tony

Tony

Sunday, May 11, 2014

As I prepare for the campaign to begin tomorrow, thoughts of the people in my live who have had a significant impact on who I am today flowed through my mind.

My parents, especially my father, Micky De Leo, having grown up during the depression, taught me to be frugal.  He believed that need, not want, should be the reason to buy something.  If he was still with us, I am sure he would have some rather graphic comments on replacing something you already own with  the latest, greatest version, just because it is cool.  I learned from him the satisfaction  of repairing something, extending its service life.

During my time as a volunteer firefighter/EMT with Port Townsend Fire Department, I served under Chief Robert Jones.  Chief Jones, a contemporary of my father, has a similar frugal mindset and always found a way to make do with the equipment we had, keeping it maintained, getting the best return for the tax dollar spent.  With only 5 paid staff, including himself, and some 30 volunteers, he provided excellent fire and rescue services to our city for many years.  He had a way of bringing out the best in his team, paid or volunteer, and always got the job done.  Some say it was his sense of humor, others say it was that he instilled his commitment to service in them.

After a very successful save of a large, downtown building.  A Seattle firefighter asked Jones how was it possible for you to save that building with his limited resources.  He replied "because no one told us we couldn't".  Some of our efforts can be stiffed by immovable  obstacles, laws, etc., but I have always believed in the old saying "if there is a will, there is a way".  Some doors appear to be locked, but, before changing plans,  we should always try the doorknob first.

Vic Dirksen, former CEO for our hospital and friend for over 30 years, believes that there is inherent good in every person, that each of us has individual thoughts, ideas and values and they should be heard and respected.  He found that, frequently, the solution to a perplexing problem can come from the most unlikely source.

My wife, Sherry, has taught me the meaning of true, unquestioning love.  She also has instilled in me an environmental consciousness that includes the three "R's", reduce, reuse, and recycle.

Our Grandkids have shown me, by example, that there is still beauty and joy in the world  Through their eyes, I again see the wonder of a flower, the joy of laughter and so many other simple pleasures.  It seems we loose this vision of wonder as we mature.  Thank goodness for the children who can jolt us back to reality.

As with all of us, I are the sum of the people and occurrences that have filledmy being.  So many to thank, a few, no so much.  What matters is how we use who we are and what part of the lives of others we play.  When I leave this world, I would hope that I have, in some small way, made it a better place and that I have lightened lives with laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment