Tony

Tony

Thursday, January 1, 2015


Excuses are easy, commitment is hard


I had signed up for the New Year’s Discovery 5k run/walk for today.  Over the last couple of days, a middle ear problem has resulted in some dizziness and vertigo.  When I got up this morning, the first day of a new year, I decided that I just wasn’t up to the event.  I emailed the organizer and advised them.

A bit later, after some reflection, I decided that, with the New Year, things in my life must change, that I would no longer accept excuses from myself.  I went, I did the 5K and am glad I did.  I wasn’t fast nor was I slow, I was somewhere in the between, you know, half-fast.

Life is too short to accept excuses for not doing something you want to do.  Excuses can come from yourself and, sometimes, even from someone else.   Regardless, I will no longer take the easy way out.   As John Kennedy said, September 12, 1962: 

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

I will never make it to the moon, but there are challenges for me out there, and within, and I will face them with the same determination.

May you make this New Year your best year ever, as I plan to do.
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment